OCD Provincial Superior

OCD Provincial Superior
Very Rev. Fr. "Chito" Reyes, OCD

Miles to Go...


As you read this article, I will be on a much-needed, long anticipated vacation with my brother and his family in Washington, D.C. While staying with them, my only preoccupation will be to "impersonate" an amoeba... eat, sleep, and engage in cell division.

I see my early vacations as something like a pregnant womb where one prepares for spiritual rebirth for the challenges ahead. Roughly two years have elapsed since I took over as Commissar of the Philippine-Vietnam Circumscription and I must say it has been like an action-packed movie. There have been many twists and turns... high drama alternating with humorous counterpoints. In all this events, God's grace have never been lacking.

Of all the poets, Robert Frost perhaps captured the moment of transition that a person experiences when he takes a much-needed respite. He writes, "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,"- one is invited to lose oneself in the seduction of the night - "but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." The transition is merely a break (albeit an indispensable one) to prepare for more arduous tasks ahead.

It is during my "winter hiatus" that I relish the high points that have taken place in the past year. These are the events that I consider as life-giving and inspire me to work harder. High on my list for this year is the harvest of four solemnly-professed brothers, one ordination in the priesthood and the growing number formandees in the House of Formation. I am also thankful for having Carmelites held this in Fatima, Portugal. Another formation that is being given to our brothers who have been in the ministry for some time. This includes the seminars on sexuality and the mid-life transition that have recently been conducted. Hopefully, we are gradually being transformed into better evangelizers.

A lot has already been done and we are invited to do much more. It is good to rest, to reflect, to be thankful. But all these must bring us back to the road that God has led us to.

... The woods are lovely,dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

from "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening"

No comments: